Thursday, January 20, 2011

Not alone in the land: Encouragement for Food Allergy Shopping

Earlier this month I was given the opportunity to shop for new clothing, my size and shape has changed drastically (more on that later) and I was in desperate need of new clothing. My husband did me the favor of taking me to my favorite mall and turning me loose. The new clothes I got were great, but I received something even better.

I found a gluten free cupcake!

It was wonderful to be in a place that allowed me the opportunity to purchase a baked good that was not made by me! It was the first gluten free baked good I've seen that was in a bakery and not in my kitchen... ever.

The excitement I had made me remember how important it is that we all support each other in the allergy free journey we are on. I stood in awe looking at over 12 cupcakes and it hit me...

I'm not the only gluten free individual in all the land...

That realization did something so amazing. It validated all the hard work, all the effort the struggle and the tears-- it allowed me to see that there are other people who care, it allowed me to know that there are others who also have this lifestyle and finally it assured me that things are going in a direction that makes "Allergy Free" a little more commonly understood.

I encourage you to find others that are new to allergy struggles and help them. Help them understand they are not alone and that it is ok to be more excited about a cupcake that they can eat, than they got about their first car. Help them understand that it is normal to stand in the food and bath aisles at the supermarket and feel overwhelmed. Then, encourage them that if cupcakes are showing up in bakery cases... we are going in the right direction-- and we are doing it together!

No comments:

Post a Comment